Discipline


It is time to start writing again. Now. I had taken a hiatus from writing. I finished my Masters Degree and decided to turn aside from the strain of Creating using the English language. When I stopped writing, I lost focus. I felt a bit like Shakespeare's Prince Hal, whimsically roving around, reading, watching sports and tv shows at leisure; ignoring my responsibilities. But, responsibilities have a penchant for keeping pace. As Robert Jordan is fond of saying, "Death is light as a feather, Duty is heavy as a mountain." Duty has recently fallen on me, and it looks like there'll be no moving mountains by magic or divine intervention. My responsibilities need to be faced head on and tackled. My duties need to be surmounted one step at a time, slowly moving upward, until I reach the summit.

This will be accomplished through discipline. I will show discipline in every aspect of my life. I will arise early every morning to exercise. After disciplining my body I will hone and sharpen my mind by writing every day. I will write and write and keep on writing. I NEED to keep doing this. The vacuums in my life that have been filled with idle pleasures and sensory numbing stimulants will be forcefully plugged with desperate writing. I will not hide from life and use the refuge of my family as an excuse to avoid responsibility. Instead, I will embrace life's thorniness and keenly interpret all its sensations to pour them onto the written page.

I will show discipline in the face of all my indulgences. Through discipline I can become a better man. Through discipline I can become great. Through discipline I can righteously lead my family to financial, physical, and spiritual success.

If I can just keep writing everyday this will be accomplished. Disciplined writing is the linchpin.

Comments

Popular Posts