The Five Star Rating System



I believe that it is necessary to clearly delineate the meaning behind each star given to any film that is reviewed. If I am going to claim the right to judge artists (and hacks) on the merit (or lack thereof) of their works then I should hold myself to a formal standard of critique. Rating systems can be such arbitrary things, and a rating given to a particular film can be a very personal, subjective, and sometimes emotional choice. I wanted to be up front about how I classify the films I review, as much for the few of you that read them as for me, so I can try and keep a level of consistency throughout.

One Star
This is the lowest rating I will give. If someone, however hopeless, went through the immense trouble of making a film then they deserve at least one star. This rating is reserved primarily for films that commit the one unforgivable sin: being boring. If a movie is so bad and/or so ineptly produced that 90 minutes feels like 90 days and it doesn't provide ANYTHING thought provoking, engaging or interesting, and can't even stoop to provide unintentional laughs then it has failed.
Examples: "Trick 'r' Treat" (2007), "Robin Hood" (2010), Le Divorce (2003).

Two Stars
Also ineptly produced and/or may suffer from a shockingly low budget and a lack of talent (or an unconscionably over inflated budget and lots of wasted talent) but it still offers something that makes it worth watching. It may be unintentionally funny or campy or offer an interesting character or story concept. This is a film that may not be worth going out of your way to see, but if you catch it on TV or Netflix it wouldn't be a complete waste of time.
Examples: "The Explorers" (1985), Troy (2004), "Pearl Harbor" (2001).

Three Stars
On the whole, this is a very good film but it may have lacked something which has kept it from taking the next step to greatness. That may be a subpar performance from a supporting character, clunky dialogue, a contrived plot, or another area of the film that lends an air of inauthenticity to the picture.
Examples: "Gladiator" (2000), "Frozen" (2013), Collateral (2004).

Four Stars
These are the great films, and the classics. These films are excellent in (almost) every way.
Examples: "Citizen Kane" (1941), "Let The Right One In" (2008), "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991), "The Godfather" (1972).

Five Stars
This rating is reserved for the films that I not only find excellent, but that I also have a special connection with. This is for the rare film that enchanted me as a child and still holds up today or the films that came along at a special time in my life. Finally, the five star rating is reserved for my favourite movies. We all have movies that we seem to love more than other films and have a hard time explaining why. Others may recognise it as a great film, but they don't seem to adore the film or have any special connection with it. This is for the great films that I feel deserve a little something extra.
Examples: "8 1/2" (1963), "Master and Commander" (2003), "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981), "It Happened One Night" 1934).

Note: I also reserve the right to award half stars to any film when I labor too long over how exactly the film should be rated.

Comments

Popular Posts