Italy: Act One (Part One)


I am calling this Day One of my travels, when in actual fact it encompasses about 48 hours. But I was awake for that entire 48 hours, so to me it felt like one long (LONG) day. After packing what I thought I would need, and grabbing both my travel documents and my passport I said goodbye to Helen and my children and made my way to the Hobart airport for my short hop to Melbourne.

I arrived at Melbourne’s newly christened Terminal 4 (which is rather large and impressive), collected my luggage, and made my way over to the Etihad Airlines check-in desk. I arrived rather early, so after a bit of waiting I was able to check-in for my international flight. After handing over my ticket and my passport I could tell that the check-in staff member (named Sofia) was having a bit of difficulty checking me in. She informed me that my passport was having a strange issue. After a process of trial and error Sofia discovered that the issue was due to my traveling on a newly reissued American passport. I had my passport renewed in September and supposedly my Australian visa information had not been properly transferred to my new passport. Just as I thought I wasn’t going to be allowed to leave the country, a sneaky call to the passport control gods in the sky fixed up the issue and I received my boarding passes. I then stocked up on carbs at Nando’s, breezed through security and immigration and found myself making my way toward my window seat on the Boeing 777 aircraft.

Yes, that’s right, a window seat. I tend to vacillate between a window and aisle seat. I’m never sure whether I should choose the window, so I can hole up against the side of the plane, watch my movies and sleep in peace without some rube tapping me every hour to get up out of their seat to make their way to the toilet. But the great benefit of the aisle seat is that I can stick one of my long leg out the side of the aisle and be that very same rube that gets up every hour to use the toilet without waking the person next to him. Let’s just say that my choice of a window seat for this flight was a poor one. The Etihad seats on this 777 were very tightly packed together, so that I felt like a sausage trying to burst out of its casing. And, of course, the couple sitting next to me didn’t MOVE the entire trip. This is a FOURTEEN HOUR flight. I have no idea what they did with the waste that naturally beckons forth from your regularly functioning human adult. Did they somehow release it through their pores?!?! It is certainly a mystery. But after eight hours of sitting in my seat the size of a postage stamp, pressed up against the window, with the food tray always curiously pressed against my bladder (even when it was raised) I realized the flaccid couple sleeping peacefully next to me weren’t going to be getting up any time soon. And any attempt at rustling them out of their seats proved to have no greater effect than a contented grunt in response. I was becoming rather anxious about the whole situation, but it is in these moments that the enlightened brain will plumb its depths and out of necessity is born something akin to genius. I took one of the empty water bottles I had been endlessly swilling (I get dehydrated on flights!), twisted off the cap, inched down my zipper and did what every man was born to do.

Yes, that’s right… I urinated into a bottle on the 4th of March on Etihad flight 461 from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi. So, for any of the six of you that will actually read this blog, if you happen to be the gentleman who sat in row 40, seat B then you had panic stricken father of four young children depositing over half a liter of sweet amber colored human waste back into the bottle it originally came from. All I can say to you sir, Mr. Row Forty Seat B., is that YOU SHOULD HAVE RESPONDED TO MY COURTEOUS PRODDING!

Anyway, enough about that. The rest of the flight was uneventful. The entertainment selection was rather impressive. I plugged in my recently purchased noise-cancelling headphones (best investment in years) and watched about six new movies (and by new I mean released in the last two years. Let’s remember I AM a father of four children). I must mention that as an American (read: xenophobic) it was certainly interesting traveling with Etihad, which is the national airline of the United Arab Emirates. This means that all announcements were first in Arabic, and then in English. And every time the captain came on to tell us about the weather, or what beautiful sights we can see on the left side of the aircraft, he spoke in Arabic. One can’t help thinking of 9/11 at a time like this, but all in all, it just made things more exciting! Oh, and there was a camera attached just under the nose of the plane and I could look at the camera’s view of things from my entertainment screen. In a word, epic.


Tomorrow: Act One, Part Due; Mozzarella Bars at the airport, sneaky Michelangelo sculptures, and the streets of Rome.


Comments

Popular Posts